Sunday, 31 December 2017

My 2017 Rapha Festive500 with Strava

Dec 24th Day 1
Sitting in darkest Perthshire at 9 am , waiting for the ‘sun’ to come up, or the grey to get lighter really. Checking Strava, I see some feller in Australia has already completed the challenge in one long criterium style ride, “pah” I mutter, “Anyone can ride in good weather”.
Check forecast, rain and 4C with strong SW, normal for 56 degrees North here. However, inspired by the Aussie Crit rider, I decide to go get a few km in on some local loopy thing myself. I saddle up.

At km 50 I head back into my house, and make some coffee, then checking Strava I see a friend has cracked off over 100km. “Can’t have that” I think, and head back out to finish off with 104km for day 1 as the light fades. Pleased, I finally hit the ‘Join Challenge’ button, I am committed. Rubbish weather, didn’t feel like going far




Dec 25th Day 2
Well, it is Christmas Day, so no early starts. Weather is pish anyway. I had earlier mentioned to my better half that I may go for a ride, which was met with some resistance. As luck would have it though, she gave me some lovely Rapha long bibs, so I negotiate a ‘window’ between Family Walk and Xmas Dinner, to test them out. It is nearly dark, it is very wet, around 3C, but I manage 30km so feel victorious, and also slightly ahead of schedule ! #yuletideride




Dec 26th Day 3
Day dawns fairly bright but with a lot of frost about. We have social engagements later in the day, so any cycling needs to be nailed fairly early. After some oatmeal and two coffees I head off and manage a respectable 70km (for me) which included a late surge on a longish hill to keep me on target. I manage to shower and change and end up actually waiting for my Mrs in the car, so feel quite smug. Total km end of day 3, 204. One return to Abernethy




Dec 27th Day 4
Hump Day, as one friend put it. So today I should be aiming for 250km in total. It is again frosty and there is a good deal more ice out on the roads. I opt for the CX bike, as conditions seem too dodgy for road tyres and expensive Rapha bib tights, so on go the Decathlon bibs with the ‘ventilation holes’. I squeak out just over 46km, hard earned distance on the cyclocross mud tyres, but included some gravel and rough tracks as well as road. No mishaps to report, stayed upright, most other rules followed too. I am where I should be for half time. Frosty Festive Wander




Dec 28th Day 5
Right, a completely free day, no demands for my presence anywhere until after 7pm, so I resolve to try use the time wisely. Again, very frosty out, -3C at 9am, but sunny and not much wind. I decide to Go Long, and take a chance with the Focus and stick to mostly A roads, thinking they would be well sanded and fairly safe. This is mostly true, although the final 15km are taken gingerly. I manage 107km with two coffee stops, an enjoyable day out and it sets me up quite well for a good result come day 8, I hope. Total to date is 358km, 71% complete says Strava. I just need to eke out 48km a day for three days, piece o’ piss, I tell myself. I check the forecast. Snow, it says. Dang. Fife Circular



Dec 29th Day 6
Woke up to about 5cm on the ground, -3C, and still coming down. Made coffee. Twice.
Kitted up warmly, hauled out the Specialized Crux CX rig again, definitely a knobby tyre day. Managed 30 odd km before bolting into LBS, Synergy Cycles, on the High Street for a quality coffee and warm up. Headed out after a while to get a few more km before finally surrendering to the nippy feet syndrome. Pleased enough, given the conditions, managed 47km which knocked me past 400km total, so with two days remaining, unless we have a proper blizzard (unlikely) then things look positive for New Years Eve finish ! #snowfest




Dec 30th Day 7
The penultimate day then. Still a fair bit of snow about, no new fall over night though, but thermometer on the kitchen window barely registers above 0C. Fairly calm out it seems, so always a good thing. I kit up and once again turn to my trusty Crux cx bike, as at least the neighbourhood roads are still well covered by the white stuff. Once on the main roads it is a mix of snow, slush and puddles, so all good. I crank off a pleasant enough local loop, passing no one else save a few joggers. 41km in the till, we have some fellow cyclists and runners coming over for a little festive cheer in the afternoon, so early finish. Total so far, 446km, which sets me up nicely for a fairly soft finish, hopefully on the road bike if this thaw keeps up. Ronde Dunning




Dec 31st Day 8
Well Lord T’underin’ Jaysus as the Newfoundlanders say, woke to pretty severe winds and a driving rain, however, on the bright side it was +5C ! Original plan was to roll down to the LBS and see if anyone else was headed out at 10am, but poor preparation delayed me a little, then I doubled back to put the bins out, so as I rode to the bike shop I saw no other bikes outside and figured I had missed le grand départ so continued alone. 

Quite horrendous gusts and a stinging sleety rain ensued, but I persevered, because as Brian Smith says, always head out in a head wind and back on a tail wind, listen to The Coach. It was hard work, but by the time I had made a couple short detours and threw in an extra windy loop I knew I had cracked it, with my second crossing of the Earn it was a bit of up hill and a head wind up the Hight Street and home, Boom , #festive500 completed, time to thaw out and enjoy the accolades ha ha ! 


To be honest, the last day would not normally have seen me out except maybe on the rollers or a final jog for the year, so having accepted this Rapha challenge did get me out the door and make an effort, so felt good about that. Blown Away on Hogmanay


No comments:

Post a Comment